Visit the only place on Earth with an aquarium, planetarium, rainforest, and natural history museum—all under one living roof.
Embark on epic science adventures from the heart of Golden Gate Park! Meet our nearly 60,000 animal residents, from a colony of playful African penguins to our lovable alligator with albinism, Claude. Zoom through the cosmos in our immersive 75-foot planetarium. Explore hands-on exhibits that showcase Earth’s dazzling biodiversity. And learn how the Academy is working to regenerate the natural world.
A seasonal smorgasbord of science
The weather outside may not be frightful, but the Academy is definitely delightful during the holidays. Here's what's on our list:
- 'Tis the Season for Science Frolic under indoor snow flurries, participate in icy science experiments, enjoy spirited live performances, and more.
- Spark: The Universe in Us Our newest planetarium film transports you across space and time to discover the celestial origins of the elements we all have in common.
- The World's Largest Dinosaurs Uncover the science behind sauropod size with life-size models, fossil replicas, engaging interactives, and more. Closing January 21, 2024!
The World’s Largest Dinosaurs is organized by the American Museum of Natural History, New York (amnh.org), in collaboration with Coolture Marketing, Bogotá, Colombia.
Steinhart Aquarium One of the most advanced and biodiverse aquariums in the world, our aquarium is home to over 1,000 animal species. Plunge into a 212,000-gallon living coral reef, encounter over a dozen venomous animals, and descend into the little-known twilight zone.
Morrison Planetarium Sit back, relax, and blast off to the outer reaches of the universe in one of the largest all-digital planetarium domes in the world. Planetarium shows may not be appropriate for children under 7, and we regret that we cannot permit any child under 4. Multiple showtimes daily, reservations required.
Osher Rainforest Ascend into the canopy of a lush, four-story rainforest, housed in a spectacular glass dome as free-flying birds and butterflies soar above, enormous Amazonian fish swim below, and unusual insect, amphibian, and reptile species captivate guests along the way.
Kimball Natural History Museum Stroll past captivating dioramas of African landscapes and animals and immerse yourself in exhibits that examine the past, present, and future of life on Earth.
Events and programs
VIP Tours Uncover the secrets of the Academy on this 45-minute tour of our research collections, private gem vault, and Living Roof. For ages 8+. Tour includes stairs and unpaved paths.
NightLife On Thursday nights, adults 21+ can enjoy live music, cocktails, and special activities and entertainment in addition to exploring the entire Academy after dark.
Penguins+Pajamas Sleepovers Unroll your sleeping bag next to your favorite Academy animals at this unforgettable overnight for kids ages 4-14 and their families.
Know before you go
- Enjoy science safely: Please check our Health & Safety page for the latest vaccination and mask recommendations before your visit.
- Plan ahead and save: Buy your tickets at least 3 days in advance to save $3-5 or more per ticket and guarantee availability on busy days.
- See what's on: It's a great idea to check our Hours & Admission page before your visit as our schedule is subject to change due to holidays, special events, and exhibit maintenance.
- Planetarium pointers: Planetarium passes are required and are available on a first-come, first-served basis. When you arrive at the Academy, scan the QR code posted in the lobby to reserve a showtime. Please note that shows may not be appropriate for children under 7, and children under 4 are not permitted.
What to see and do
Only have an hour or two? Make the most of your visit with this guide to the Academy's can't-miss visitor favorites.
Where to eat
Relax and refuel during your visit and enjoy a meal or snack at the Academy Café or Terrace Restaurant, offering local, sustainable, grab-and-go cuisine.
Just for kids
Academy exhibits and programs are designed with kids in mind. Check out our top tips for parents traveling with tots.
CityPASS® saves 46% on admission to the Academy and three more top SF attractions—plus instant mobile ticket delivery. It’s your best sightseeing value!
Save up to 55% on admission to the Academy and 25 other San Francisco attractions with a Go City San Francisco Pass.